Brentwood, 12.19pm: 13°C, mist

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round: Billericay Town 6 Bury Town 2

Phoenix FM’s JOHN CHUBB reporting from the AGP Arena


Billericay Town enjoyed cup success for the second time in 4 days, as Glenn Tamplin’s side progressed to the next stage of the FA Trophy at the expense of Bostik North side Bury Town.

Former Arsenal midfielder Sanchez Watt and record signing Dean Inman, both of whom enjoyed impressive Blues debuts by providing the goals in Wednesday night’s 3-0 Velocity Trophy win at Maldon & Tiptree were both included in the starting line-up along with fellow new arrival Nick Wheeler. Jack Giddens, who Tamplin said had provided him with ‘a selection headache’ ahead of this tie following an impressive display on Wednesday kept his place between the sticks, ahead of Alan Julian.

The home side took the lead with less than 3 minutes on the clock, striker Adam Cunnington cleverly lobbing Bury goalkeeper Luis Tibbles who could only look in, as the ball sailed over his head and into the net.

Then the visitors were awarded a penalty in the 8th minute, following a foul by home captain Paul Konchesky. Cemal Ramadan’s well struck spot kick went to the left of Giddens and into the goal, and the Suffolk side were now level.

All of a sudden Blues found themselves somewhat on the back foot as Bury attempted to press forward, and with 15 minutes on the clock a misplaced clearance by Konchesky bounced back into play, and Oliver Hughes managed to bundle the ball past Giddens to make it 2-1 to the Bostik North side.

Ricay responded by putting together some promising attacking moves, Danny Waldren having a chance from the edge of the area that was well stopped by Tibbles, then from the ensuing corner centre half Rob Swaine had a header tipped over the bar by the Bury keeper. Swaine then equalised for his side in the 23rd minute, picking up a Konchesky cross and nodding the ball out of Tibbles’ reach and inside the post to bring the scores level.

On the half hour mark Cunnington nearly put Billericay back in front with a close range effort, but this time Tibbles was able to reach the ball easily. Cunnington then had a close range header saved with a few minutes to go until half time, following a well placed inswinging cross from Jermaine Pennant.


A half time double substitution saw Watt replaced by top scorer Jake Robinson, with Sam Deering coming on for Swaine as Blues reverted to 3 at the back. Pennant went close with.a free kick from outside the area early in the second period, which Tibbles stopped and the Bury keeper was wise to Robinson’s attempt to capitalise from close range.

Cunnington then went close a couple of times, hitting the bar on one occasion before Robinson put the home side back in front on 56 minutes, heading in Dan Walker’s excellent cross from a run down the right hand side to make it 3-2.

Following an effort from the lively Walker Ricay were awarded a penalty just the hour mark, following a push on Pennant inside the box but Cunnington’s spot kick was well stopped by Tibbles. Robinson then made it 4-2 from close range just after the hour mark, after being set up by Wheeler.

The home side were now in full command and substitute Deering fired just wide of the left post with 20 minutes remaining, just before Cunnington went close from another excellent Wheeler cross. Wheeler and fellow wide man Walker then combined to set up Robinson, the former Brighton and Hove Albion forward scoring his 2nd and his side’s 5th to put the tie beyond the reach of the visitors.

But Blues were not finished yet, as with 7 minutes remaining Deering sent an excellent left footed strike past Tibbles to make it 6-2. This completed another impressive cup performance, and one which will fill them with confidence ahead of Thursday’s FA Cup replay at home to Leatherhead.

Billericay Town: Jack Giddens, Leo Chambers, Paul Konchesky (Joe Kizzi 66), Dean Inman, Rob Swaine (Sam Deering 46), Jermaine Pennant, Dan Walker, Danny Waldren, Adam Cunnington, Sanchez Watt (Jake Robinson 46), Nick Wheeler.

Bury Town: Luis Tibbles, Tevan Allen, Ryan Yallop (Tommy Robinson 65), Oliver Fenn, Joe White, Kyran Clements, Oliver Hughes (David Cooper 90), Ryan Jolland, Cemal Ramadan, Bradley Barber (Joe Yaxley 87), Darren Mills.

Referee: George Warren

Attendance: 1376

Phoenix FM's partners

Beeches Care Home | Billericay Town Council | Billericay Town FC | Blue Serif | Brandler Galleries | Brentwood Chamber of Commerce | C2C | Creative Recording Studios | Crystal Communication Solutions | Elan Fire and Security Group | emoov | Fitness In Mind | Foxtel Audio Visual Solutions | Healthwatch Essex | Hawkhurst Alternative Investments | Holiday Inn | Hopefield Animal Sanctuary | Latitude Festival | Leyton Orient FC | LMS Heating Solutions | Network Magazine | NHS | O'Wango and TT Smart | Pure Orthodontics | Rainer Hughes | Renewables In Africa | Saint Francis Hospice | SEHBAC | Standon Calling Festival | Studio 6 Music | Will Protect

© Phoenix FM 1996-2018. Written using Notepad and PHP.