Welcome to the 60’s (whoah, whoah etc…). Yes it was 60’s week on Stage Door this evening and did we have some great tracks all from stage musicals from the 1960’s. See the playlist below.
I also had the perfect guest for tonight’s theme. Thanks to Frank Allen from The Searchers for chatting on the show. What a fascinating man to talk to. Frank has an amazing knowledge of the 60’s music scene and has even written two novels on the subject – The Searchers and Me and The Travellin Man. Both are available from The Searchers website which is www.the-searchers.co.uk . You can listen to the interview again below. If you would like to see The Searchers on tour you can catch them on the 22nd April at The Princes Theatre Clacton on Sea (01255 686633), 4th May at the Civic Theatre Chelmsford (01245 606505) or 16th June at the Thameside Theatre in Grays (0845 300 5264).
We reviewed the production of Columbo – Prescription Murder which is touring and was at the Civic in Chelmsford last week. For more facts and trivia go to: www.columbo-prescription-murder.co.uk
We also looked at the glowing reviews for Betty Blue Eyes, Cameron Mackintosh’s latest production that opened at the Novello Theatre in London this week. To find out more go to: www.bettyblueeyesthemusical.com.
For little ones if you would like to go and see local boys Mike and Andy’s Big Box Of Bananas show. It’s at the Thameside Theatre in Grays on Thursday 21st April at 2pm and the Palace Theatre in Southend at 11am and 2pm on Sunday 15th May.
For all Brentwood, Billericay and Southend Festival events check out our Local Events page.
I will be back next week with a special show all about Ginger Rogers for Easter Sunday to mark the centenary of her birth. Till then here’s the playlist.
- Welcome To The ‘60’s (by Mark Shaiman & Scott Wittman Hairspray) 2002 Broadway Cast Recording.
- Much More (by Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones from The Fantasticks) New Broadway Cast Recording.
- Gonna Build A Day Dream (by Anthony Newley & Leslie Bricusse from Stop The World I Wanna Get Off) Original Cast Recording.
- I’m Calm (by Stephen Sondheim from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum) Original Broadway 1962 Cast Recording.
- Sweet Charity (by Cy Coleman & Dorothy Fields from Sweet Charity) 1995 studio cast recording.
- I Love My Wife (by Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones from I Do! I Do) Original Broadway Cast Recording.
- Miracle of Miracles (by Gerry Bock & Sheldon Harnock from Fiddler on The Roof) Original cast recording.
- Overture (by Burt Bacharach & Hal David from Promises, Promises) Original Cast Recording.
- It’s A Fine Life (by Lionel Bart from Oliver!) 2009 London Cast Recording.
- Good morning starshine (by Galt MacDermot, Gerome Ragni and James Rado, from Hair) Annabel Leventon, Linda Kendrick and 1968 original London cast
- Don’t rain on my parade (by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill, from Funny Girl) Barbra Streisand – 1964 original Broadway cast
- Needles and Pins by The Searchers.
- Don’t tell mama (by John Kander and Fred Ebb, from Cabaret) Jill Haworth and 1966 original Broadway cast
- All I need (is one good break) (by John Kander and Fred Ebb, from Flora, the Red Menace) Liza Minnelli – 1965 original Broadway cast
- Been a long day (by Frank Loesser, from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying) Victoria Clark, Matthew Broderick and Megan Mullally – 1995 Broadway revival cast