Yes the theme for this week’s Stage Door was Dance! A wealth of tracks that will probably mean there has to be a Dance Week 2 at some point. It also felt like the perfect subject to choose for Stage Door’s first birthday. Aaah!
Thanks to my guest this week who was Barry Howlett from The New Venture Players talking all about their production of Allo, Allo which will be on at the Brentwood Theatre next week. Check out our local events page for all the booking details. In the meantime you can hear the interview with Barry below.
[audio:https://www.phoenixfm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/New-Venture-Players-Allo-Allo-Interview.mp3|titles=New Venture Players Allo Allo Interview]
Amongst other things we talked about was a production that has been reviewed up town which is The Umbrellas of Cherbourg at the Geilgud Theatre. If you would like to go along you can do so 0844 482 5130.
Next week I will be busy rehearsing and performing at the PhoenixFM Fundraiser and so the lovely Ed Wellman will be standing in on Stage Door for me. I will see you in a couple of weeks or sooner if you fancy coming along to the Brentwood Theatre next Sunday at 7pm for a whole load of fun!
In the meantime, here is the playlist:
- Go into your dance (by Harry Warren and Al Dubin, from 42nd Street) 1980 Original Broadway cast
- Dancing in the dark (by Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz, from The Band Wagon)Bing Crosby – Pennies from Heaven
- Dancing shoes (by Ronald Cass and Peter Myers, from Summer Holiday) Darren Day – 1997 original London cast
- The varsity drag (by Buddy deSylva, Lew Brown and Ray Henderson, from Good News) Ann Morrison – 1995 studio cast
- Tap your troubles away (by Jerry Herman, from Mack and Mabel) Carol Channing – Jerry’s Girls 1984 US cast
- Dancing (by Jerry Herman, from Hello Dolly!) Barbra Streisand, Michael Crawford, Danny Lockin and company – 1969 film soundtrack
- Born to boogie (by Elton John and Lee Hall, from Billy Elliot) Haydn Gwynne – 2005 original London cast
- Fascinating rhythm (by George and Ira Gershwin, from Lady Be Good!) Jamie Cullum – Catching Tales
- You should be dancing (by Barry, Maurice and Robin Gibb, from Saturday Night Fever) Adam Garcia – 1998 original London cast
- Step in time (by Robert B. and Richard M. Sherman, from Mary Poppins) 2004 original London cast
- Born to hand jive (by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey, from Grease) Sha-Na-Na – 1978 film soundtrack
- Broadway Melody ballet (by Nacio Herb Brown and Lennie Hayton, from Singin’ in the Rain) Gene Kelly – 1952 film soundtrack
- Flashdance…What a feeling (by Giorgio Moroder, Keith Forsey and Irene Cara, from Flashdance) Irene Cara
- Gotta dance (by Hugh Martin, from Look Ma, I’m Dancin’!) Harold Lang and Pembroke Davenport – 1948 original Broadway cast