Brentwood, 1.39am: 9°C, overcast clouds

Isthmian League Round-up: 17/18 September



Tuesday night’s action in the South Central Division of the Isthmian League saw a seven goal thriller at Mayesbrook Park, as Barking played host to Waltham Abbey and it was the visiting side who finished up 4-3 winners.

Junior Appiah put Waltham in front after 17 minutes, but Shermadin Artneladze then scored twice to give Justin Gardner’s side a 2-1 half-time lead.

But just two minutes after the restart Leonne McKenzie levelled for the visitors, and four minutes later they were in front when Billy Holland found the net.

Then in the 63rd minute Waltham had a fourth when Barking goalkeeper Montel Joseph scored an own goal, and although Ryan Mallett gave the Blues a lifeline with a goalk five minutes from time, their opponents held on to take all three points and move up to ninth in the league.

Barking are currently still in 18th position and yet to register their first league win of the campaign.

Meanwhile Harlow Town dropped to 10th place after losing 4-1 at Ware.

Goals from Liam Hope and Oluwaseun Akinsanya gave the hosts a 2-0 lead before the interval.

Then in the 52nd minute Ware’s lead was extended further as Harlow’s Elwin Larty put the ball into his own net.

Matt Rush got one back for the Hawks with 18 minutes to go, but Akinsanya scored his and his team’s fourth in injury time.

Tuesday’s Isthmian North action saw Maldon & Tiptree continue their impressive start to the 2019/20 season, as a superb performance saw them brush aside Canvey Island at the Wallace Binder Ground.

It took the hosts just six minutes to get off the mark with a goal from Jorome Slew.

And with seven minutes of the second half played Charlee Hughes and Slew had both added to the Jammers’ tally to make it 3-0.

Then Slew scored a 63rd minute penalty for his hat-trick shortly before Danny Parish added his name to the scoresheet, to make the final score 5-0.

So Wayne Brown’s men maintained their 100% record having now won all six of their opening league fixtures.

Coggeshall Town dropped one place to third in the North Division standings, after a goalless draw at home to Felixstowe & Walton United.

It was a frustrating night for the Seed Growers who had quite a few decent chances in the game, notably when Ross Wall struck the crossbar in the first half, but they remain unbeaten in the league.

Hullbridge Sports played hosts to Heybridge Swifts and the visiting side took the honours winning by three goals to one.

Jayden Randell, Manny Osei and Alex Teniola were the Scraley Road outfit’s marksmen before Yemi Ogunfunmilade scored the home team’s consolation with ten minutes left.

Basildon United and Great Wakering Rovers drew 1-1 in an eventful encounter at the Cousins Stadium.

John Sussex’s Bees were awarded a penalty in only the fourth minute, which was taken by Adam Vyse but Wakering keeper Bobby Mason dived to his right and saved.

Vyse’s night got worse when he was sent off in the 24th minute, receiving a red card for violent conduct which was his second dismissal already this season.

Just after the hour mark Danny Norton put Basildon into the lead.

Then with only a couple of minutes of normal time remaining a further two red cards were issued, United’s Ayomikun Odukoya and Rovers’ Marc Gorbell both receiving their marching orders for an off-the-ball incident.

Then with the game in injury time Daniel Akindayini netted to grab a point for Wakering.

Brentwood Town are still in 19th place and have yet to pick up their first league victory of the campaign.

The Blues took on Aveley and looked as though they were going to grab a point, when Khadean Campbell netted 10 minutes from time to cancel out Alex Read’s opener at the end of the first half for the away team.

But Kane Hearn and Jason Raad struck late goals for the Millers to secure a 3-1 win.

Romford are still bottom of the table without a win, but after beginning the season with five straight defeats they finally picked up a point in a 1-1 draw at Witham Town.

Boro went in front four minutes before half-time thanks to Nathan Tabora and led until the 76th minute, when George Bugg equalised for the home side.

The one Wednesday night fixture in the North Division saw Grays Athletic take on near neighbours Tilbury and triumph 3-1.

Grays grabbed an early lead through Joao Carlos before Brian Moses equalised for the Dockers early in the second period.

Then a Tony Stokes goal in the 72nd minute and a second from Carlos six minutes later ensured three points for the Blues and a move up to second place in the league standings.


Phoenix FM's partners

Beeches Care Home | Billericay Town Council | Billericay Town FC | Blue Serif | Brandler Galleries | Brentwood Care Centre | Brentwood Chamber of Commerce | C2C | Creative Recording Studios | Crystal Communication Solutions | Elan Fire and Security Group | F Barnes solicitors | Foxtel Audio Visual Solutions | Healthwatch Essex | Hawkhurst Alternative Investments | Holiday Inn | Hopefield Animal Sanctuary | Latitude Festival | LMS Heating Solutions | Network Magazine | NHS | O'Wango and TT Smart | Pure Orthodontics | Rainer Hughes | Renewables In Africa | Saint Francis Hospice | SEHBAC | Standon Calling Festival | Studio 6 Music | Will Protect

© Phoenix FM 1996-2020. Written using Notepad and PHP.