Brentwood, 1.28am: 9°C, overcast clouds

FA Cup First Round Qualifying Round-up



Saturday’s FA Cup ties included a few all-Essex affairs.

One of these took place at the Len Salmon Stadium where two Isthmian League sides met, namely Bowers & Pitsea of the Premier Division and Brentwood Town of the North section.

Rob Small’s side had to come from behind after Jason Williams gave the Blues the lead in only the third minute, but goals from Quentin Monville and Max Cornhill in the second half gave them a 2-1 win after Williams missed a late penalty for the visitors.

Waltham Abbey and Canvey Island drew 2-2, the Gulls forcing a replay thanks to Jason Hallett’s equaliser with an hour played.

Mark Bentley’s team had gone in front though Tobi Joseph before Leonne McKenzie and Ryan Dear scored to give Waltham the lead.

But in Tuesday night’s replay at Park Lane it was Canvey who secured a place in the next round, as they snatched a 2-1 victory thanks to a Dominique Yiagnigni own goal and Hallett, who scored with his head late on after Waltham had been reduced to ten men following Dear’s 82nd minute dismissal.

McKenzie scored what turned out to be a consolation goal for Waltham Abbey.

The other all-Essex tie featured Isthmian North rivals Basildon United and Coggeshall Town, which the Bees won 2-1 thanks to goals from Adam Vyse and Joe Paxman which cancelled out Ugo Udoji’s opener for the Seedgrowers.

United’s prize is a local derby away to National League South high-flyers Billericay Town in the next round.

Hornchurch enjoyed a smooth passage to the next stage with a 6-0 victory over Kempston Rovers of the Southern League Division One Central at Bridge Avenue.

Joe Christou, Lewwis Spence (2), Mickey Parcell, Chris Dickson and Matt Johnson all found themselves on the scoresheet for Urchins.

But Barking’s interest in this season’s competition is at an end, as they were beaten 3-1 at Kings Langley.

Charlie Ruff put the home side in front from the penalty spot before Eoin McKeown added a second.

Johnny Ashman reduced the deficit for the Blues before Kings’ Max Hercules put the tie beyond their reach.

Tilbury are also out as they lost 2-1 away to Biggleswade.

The Dockers’ cause was not helped by Jordan Cox’s first half sending off, but they subsequently grabbed the lead via a Thomas Barton volley.

Alex Marsh then equalised for the home team 10 minutes into the second half before Ryan Inskip clinched the tie for the Bedfordshire men in injury time.

Maldon & Tiptree fared better on their travels, as they returned from Histon having secured a 3-0 victory.

Tyrique Hyde, Kojo Awatwi and Jerome Slew all netted to set up a home tie with Wingate & Finchley at the next stage of the competition.

The Jammers’ fellow Isthmian North side Grays Athletic are also through, having beaten March Town United 3-1 with goals from Rob Bartley, Joao Carlos and Steve King after Jamie Short had given March a 21st minute lead.

Romford were knocked out at Barton Rovers thanks to a brace from Dean Dummett, and further goals from Nathan Tshikuna and Victor Osobu which gave the home team a 4-0 victory.

East Thurrock United drew 1-1 with Peterborough Sports at Rookery Hill.

Lewis Smith headed John Coventry’s men in front after 36 minutes, but Paul Malone’s header with 15 minutes to go meant the sides did battle again in Cambridgeshire on Tuesday night.

But the Southern League Premier Central side went through with a 3-2 victory thanks to goals from Daniel Lawlor (from the penalty spot), Cameron Johnson and Dion Sembie Ferris.

Frankie Merrifield and Ayodeji Olukoga replied for Rocks.

Witham Town are out of the cup for this season after Stamford beat them 1-0, Cosmo Matwasa’s first half strike proving the difference between the two sides.

Essex Senior League leaders Takeley, having won late on in a Preliminary Round replay away to White Ensign the previous Wednesday were themselves on the receiving end of a very late defeat this time, as they were narrowly beaten 1-0 at home to Potters Bar Town.

Brad Sach’s goal in the fifth minute of injury time was enough to see the Isthmian Premier League side through to the next round.

The second round qualifying fixtures will take place over the weekend of 20-22 September, and the ties featuring local teams are as follows:

Corinthian Casuals v Chelmsford City

Kingstonian v Grays Athletic

Margate v Concord Rangers

St Ives Town v Canvey Island

Potters Bar Town v Hornchurch

Billericay Town v Basildon United

Lewes v Bowers & Pitsea

Enfield Town v Braintree Town

Maldon & Tiptree v Wingate & Finchley




Phoenix FM's partners

Beeches Care Home | Billericay Town Council | Billericay Town FC | Blue Serif | Brandler Galleries | Brentwood Care Centre | Brentwood Chamber of Commerce | C2C | Creative Recording Studios | Crystal Communication Solutions | Elan Fire and Security Group | F Barnes solicitors | Foxtel Audio Visual Solutions | Healthwatch Essex | Hawkhurst Alternative Investments | Holiday Inn | Hopefield Animal Sanctuary | Latitude Festival | LMS Heating Solutions | Network Magazine | NHS | O'Wango and TT Smart | Pure Orthodontics | Rainer Hughes | Renewables In Africa | Saint Francis Hospice | SEHBAC | Standon Calling Festival | Studio 6 Music | Will Protect

© Phoenix FM 1996-2020. Written using Notepad and PHP.