Brentwood, 4.29am: 8°C, haze

FA Trophy Third Round Round-up



Aveley of the Isthmian North were in dreamland at the end of their first ever Third Round FA Trophy tie, as one of the day’s real shocks saw them knock out National League South Chelmsford City – two tiers above them – with a 3-1 victory at Parkside.

Jason Raad’s 12th minute free-kick had seen Keith Rowland’s men in front for most of the match before Chris Whelpdale equalised for the currently managerless Clarets with 79 minutes played.

But with two minutes left – just as it looked as though the tie might head for extra-time – Alex Akrofi put the Millers in front before Jonathan Nzengo sent the home fans wild with a stunning 30-yard strike deep into injury time, on what was ultimately a dismal afternoon for the visitors.

My full report on the match can be viewed here.

Also in the quarter-finals for the first time ever are City’s National League South rivals Concord Rangers.

The Beach Boys eventually saw off National League North visitors Leamington, after the tie had gone to extra-time and was then decided on penalties.

Lamar Reynolds gave the home side a fifth minute lead when he headed home from a Kit Elliott cross.

That lead lasted until the hour mark, when the Brakes levelled through Stephen Morley.

And with the score still 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes, the match went into extra-time which Leamington had to contest with ten men, following Junior English’s 79th minute dismissal when a foul on Concord’s Joel Nouble saw him receive a second yellow card.

With five minutes of the additional half-hour played Concord once again took the lead, James Blanchfield finding the net with an excellent finish from outside the area.

Then with 104 minutes on the clock the Warwickshire side once again equalised through Callum Maycock.

That was the situation with two hours played, so the tie went to a penalty shoot-out which Concord won 4-3 to make sure of their place in the last eight.

Jack Cawley, Nouble, Michael O’Donoghue and Decarrey Sherriff were all on target for the Beach Boys whilst Morley, Maycock and Jack Lane took successful spot-kicks for Leamington.

But Danny Green and Jack Storer struck the bar with theirs, so their hopes rested on Jack Edwards.

Bur Concord goalkeeper Jack Haigh saved his penalty to put Danny Scopes’ side through and spark huge celebrations at the Aspect Arena.

Yesterday’s Third Round results in full were as follows:

Aveley 3 Chelmsford City 1

Barnet 3 Barrow 0

Concord Rangers 2 Leamington 2 (Concord won 4-3 on penalties)

Dorking Wanderers 2 Fylde 4

Ebbsfleet United 0 Royston Town 2

FC Halifax Town 0 Halesowen Town 1

Harrogate Town 2 Eastleigh 0

Yeovil Town 1 Notts County 2

The draw for the Fourth Round will take place on tomorrow (Monday 9th February).


Phoenix FM's partners

Beeches Care Home | Billericay Town Council | Billericay Town FC | Blue Serif | Brandler Galleries | Brentwood Care Centre | Brentwood Chamber of Commerce | C2C | Creative Recording Studios | Crystal Communication Solutions | Elan Fire and Security Group | F Barnes solicitors | Foxtel Audio Visual Solutions | Healthwatch Essex | Hawkhurst Alternative Investments | Holiday Inn | Hopefield Animal Sanctuary | Latitude Festival | LMS Heating Solutions | Network Magazine | NHS | O'Wango and TT Smart | Pure Orthodontics | Rainer Hughes | Renewables In Africa | Saint Francis Hospice | SEHBAC | Standon Calling Festival | Studio 6 Music | Will Protect

© Phoenix FM 1996-2020. Written using Notepad and PHP.