Brentwood, 2.53pm: 3°C, scattered clouds

Enfield Leave It Late

Barkingside 0 Enfield 1893 1

Essex Senior League

Saturday 10th March

Report by Scott Lanza


It was a struggle, it lacked a lot of sparkle; at times it was downright dour, but in the end there was some late drama as Enfield snatched all the points in stoppage time, with Aundre Spencer coming back to haunt his former club.


Enfield’s recent three game winning run had seen them move closer into mid table waters. Barkingside, like Enfield, had also tasted life perilously close to relegation danger; they too had managed to claw their way out of the mire. Neither side are mathematically out of the relegation equation so this game had some importance attached to it. And that meant that both teams swamped each other out meaning that there were very few clear cut chances, and in truth very little passing football either.


It started brightly enough as Enfield won an early corner, which Ben Bradbury swung in from the right, which soon won his side another corner, this time from the left. Bradbury again delivered a decent corner which Ryan Karrer punched clear. The Barkingside keeper was soon being tested again as Bradbury burst into the Barkingside box and rifled off a shot that Karrer tipped away.


The chances then dried up, with an Enfield corner in the 20th minute and then a James Briggs free kick for Barkingside being the only chances. Enfield did look like they had found a way through Barkingside’s tight defence when Bradbury, picked out Daniel Crowie with an excellent pass, which was then laid into the path of Ayo Odukoya; there the opportunity ended as Euan Taylor-Reid put in a solid challenge to thwart the Enfield attack. Crowie went on to deliver a free kick from the left that was turned goalwards by the boot of Aundre Spencer, before being halted by Karrer who parried the shot.


Cem Temur had been a spectator for most of the half with the only piece of keeping required coming in the 41st minute when he had to rush off his line to kick away a Barkingside through ball. There was still time for controversy of sorts as Joe Johnson’s deep cross right on the stroke of half time almost caught out Karrer, who was able to get his finger tips to the ball but didn’t make a clean catch, instead spilling it, before quickly smothering it at the feet of Spencer, who claimed he had been impeded whilst challenging for the ball.


The second half opened up with a bit of controversy too as Temur rushed out of his box and ultimately handled the ball. Despite Barkingside calls for a card of some sorts, the most they received in way of recompense for the infringement was a free kick, and it was wasted as Briggs fired his shot straight into Joe Clark who then cleared the ball away. And it appeared as if Barkingside were starting to up the gears when Roddy Lemba sneaked between the Enfield centre halves, laying off Garjay Thompson whose shot was stopped by Temur.


After that little outburst the game then went back to being a midfield battle, with few chances created. Thompson won Barkingside free kick after he was hauled down by Luke Thomas, but Briggs could only fire the resulting kick over the bar. Taylor-Reid meanwhile halted a decisive Enfield attack, when a long ball over the top reached Odukoya, but the Barkingside defender put his body on the line to halt Odukoya. However the lines were not fully cleared allowing Bradbury the opportunity to drill a shot post Karrer’s left hand post.


Aaron Hunwicks drilled a free kick into Enfield’s wall and then Ryan Kukoyi showed some nice skill to beat his marker and deliver a deep cross to Michael Bottone whose shot had plenty of power, but no accuracy and it sailed wide of the target. The only other chance Barkingside created was when a cross into Enfield’s box was spilled by Temur, resulting in a goal mouth melee until the Enfield keeper gained possession of the ball.


Karrer was on hand to parry Clark’s header after he rose above his marker to get his head onto a Crowie free kick in the closing stages. But there was still time for Enfield to snatch the points when they finally broke the deadlock in stoppage time. A ball swept across the Barkingside box and there was Aundre Spencer to poke the ball past Karrer, starting wild celebrations. The win probably lifts Enfield out of relegation danger. Barkingside meanwhile sit just above the relegation zone and need to put a few more points on the board to make sure they don’t get dragged back into a the relegation dog fight in the final few weeks of the campaign.


Barkingside: Ryan Karrer, George Forrest, Aaron Hunwicks(Capt) , Joe Mendy, Euan Taylor-Reid, Clyde Ikpo, Michael Bottone, James Briggs (Jayden Mitchell-Brown 66’), Roddy Lemba, Ryan Kukoyi, Garjay Thompson (Kieran Silva 76’).

Enfield 1893: Cem Temur, Luke Thomas, Daniel Crowie, Joe Johnson (Matt Thoma 64’), Jacob Dixon, Joe Clark, Daniel Chambers (Matt Claxton 64’), Reece Barrett, Ayo Odukoya (Shaun Quinn 73’), Aundre Spencer, Ben Bradbury (Capt).

Scorer – Aundre Spencer (90+2’)



Phoenix FM's partners

Beeches Care Home | Billericay Town Council | Billericay Town FC | Blue Serif | Brandler Galleries | Brentwood Chamber of Commerce | C2C | Creative Recording Studios | Crystal Communication Solutions | Elan Fire and Security Group | Fitness In Mind | Foxtel Audio Visual Solutions | Healthwatch Essex | Hawkhurst Alternative Investments | Holiday Inn | Hopefield Animal Sanctuary | Latitude Festival | Leyton Orient FC | LMS Heating Solutions | Network Magazine | NHS | O'Wango and TT Smart | Pure Orthodontics | Rainer Hughes | Renewables In Africa | Saint Francis Hospice | SEHBAC | Standon Calling Festival | Studio 6 Music | Will Protect

© Phoenix FM 1996-2018. Written using Notepad and PHP.