2011 continues to be an amazing year for music with so many great releases so far. And it doesn’t look like it’s going to let up at all for the rest of the year. As the picture suggests there’s a new Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks album (which is out on August 22nd) called Mirror Traffic which from what i’ve heard so far sounds like something special so this week I played two tracks from the album (and I’m sure there’ll be more in the coming weeks).
We also had a new track from singer/songwriter Feist whose new album Metals is out in October along with a new track from another female performer Zola Jesus, whose album Conatus is also due to hit in October.
The Antlers epic album Burst Apart continues to keep me hooked and it’s locked in battle with The Babies debut for album of the year so far. Another great listen this week was American composer Steve Reich’s performance at this years Proms. Amazing stuff so something from Music for 18 Musicians had to go on the playlist.
This weeks Covers Corner featured a stunning re-imagining of The Strokes track The Modern Age by Chelsea Wolfe lifted from Stereogum’s tribute to Is This It (the whole album is free to download from Stereogum’s website, strongly recommended).
The playlist was rounded out by tracks in celebration of music site Pitchfork.com’s 15th birthday, with tracks from albums given the perfect 10 scoreline over the years.
And finally a special mention to Boards Of Canada, whose album Music Has The Right To Children was recommended to me this week, and which has blown my mind on the few listens I’ve given so far! Playlist below and see you next week.
1. Belle And Sebastian – Lazy Jane (The BBC Sessions)
2. The Antlers – Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out (Burst Apart)
3. The Mountain Goats – This Year (The Sunset Tree)
4. Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks – Tune Grief (Mirror Traffic)
5. Feist – How Come You Never Go There (Metals)
6. Iggy And The Stooges – Search And Destroy (Raw Power)
7. Kiss – Rock And Roll All Nite (Alive)
8. De La Soul – Buddy (3 Feet High And Rising)
9. Boards Of Canada – Turquoise Hexagon Sun (Music Has The Right To Children)
10. Sonic Youth – Teenage Riot (Daydream Nation)
11. Zola Jesus – Vessel (Conatus)
12. Marnie Stern – The Crippled Jazzer (This Is It..)
13. Radiohead – Let Down (OK Computer)
14. Steve Reich – Section 1 / Section 2 (Music For 18 Musicians)
15. Aldrin – Der Oldrin (Bene EP)
16. Chelsea Wolfe – The Modern Age (Stereogum’s Stroked)
17. Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks – Forever 28 (Mirror Traffic)
18. Joy Division – Twenty-four Hours (Closer)
19. The Velvet Underground – Oh! Sweet Nuthin’ (Loaded)