This week the show moved to it’s new time slot, still on a Tuesday but now 9pm-midnight. A little later but an extra hour which means more great music! And this week was definitely no exception.
The 12th September was another day of some amazing new releases including St. Vincent’s new album Strange Mercy which is stunning and also Mogwai’s new EP Earth Division, also an amazing listen and very much recommended (just like everything else Mogwai has released!). We played tracks from these and also 2 tracks from another 2 albums that were released this week, Laura Marlings A Creature I Don’t Know (her 3rd and another superb album, hard to believe that she is only 21) and then A Winged Victory For The Sullens self-titled debut. Now this album I heard blindy knowing nothing about the band (which is a duo featuring Stars Of The Lid Adam Wiltzie and composer Dustin OʼHalloran). What I heard is one of the most brilliant albums I have heard this year. If I had to label it I’d call it ambient-classical (even though I hate labelling music this way). It is stunning, beautiful, epic, stirring, an album to completely immerse yourself and got lost in. It will definitely be on many end of year best album lists including the 33RPM one I’m sure.
We also looked ahead to the new Wilco album The Whole Love and featured a new track by The Babies (rather lovely lo-fi goodness that I always love) from their new 7″ Here Comes Trouble and a track from the forthcoming Bjork album Biophilia. Final new track was from the new Los Campesinos release Hello Sadness, which you can download from their site (link further down).
There will be several new features coming to the show, one of these started this week, in which I’ll be sharing any free label samplers, free tracks from forthcoming albums or any other free music of interest. And to start off there’s some excellent stuff.
Firstly, there’s a free Deerhoof live album (which is all kinds of fun) which can be downloaded from :
Secondly, a 30-track! Polyvinyl Records sampler to celebrate 15 years (great label) :
Thirdly, another label sampler, this one from the brilliant Kill Rock Stars, who are celebrating their 20th year :
And finally a track from the new Los Campesinos album Hello Sadness, called By Your Hand, which you can get here (click on the far right picture) :
There will be more over in future so keep a lookout for my show updates.
We also played some tracks from 2 seattle legends who are celebrating their 20th birthday. Firstly, Nirvana’s Nevermind album celebrated it’s 20th birthday (still can’t believe it was 20 years ago!). There is a free Nevermind exhibition in London until the 25th September, to find out more information you can check here :
Pearl Jam are also celebrating their 20th year together, so we played a track from their debut Ten.
The playlist was rounded off with some great music from David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Iron & Wine, Can (as part of the new time slot there will be more experimental music being played) among others.
A special mention finally to The Quietus for a superb article on Talk Talk and their last album Laughing Stock which is worth reading at the below link :
There won’t be a 9-midnight show on the 20th September, for one week only the show will be split into 2, 7pm-8pm and 9pm-10pm, but after that it will be the new time of 9pm-midnight and I can’t wait to bring you some amazing music. See you next week! Playlist for the show below.
1. David Bowie – Let’s Dance (Let’s Dance)
2. The Primitives – Crash (Lovely)
3. Burial, Four Tet & Thom Yorke – Ego (12″)
4. The Damned – Born To Kill (Damned Damned Damned)
5. Maybeshewill – Red Paper Lanterns (I Was Here For a Moment, Then I Was Gone)
6. Laura Marling – Salinas (A Creature I Don’t Know)
7. Bjork – Moon (Biophilia)
8. Smashing Pumpkins – Hummer (Siamese Dream)
9. Deerhoof – You Can’t Sit Down / The Tears And Music Of Love (Live) (99% Upset Feeling)
10. St.Vincent – Chloe In The Afternoon (Strange Mercy)
11. Elliott Smith – Between The Bars (Kill Rock Stars 20 Years Sampler)
12. A Winged Victory For The Sullen – We Played Some Open Chords (Self-Titled)
13. Nirvana – Breed (Nevermind)
14. Pearl Jam – Deep (Ten)
15. Ryan Adams – Shakedown on 9th Street (Heartbreaker)
16. Los Campesinos! – By Your Hand (Hello Sadness)
17. Wilco – Dawned On Me (The Whole Love)
18. Iron & Wine – No Moon (Around The Well)
19. R.E.M. – Country Feedback (Out Of Time)
20. Can – Halleluwah (Tago Mago)
21. Nick Drake – Three Hours (Late Night Tales With The Cinematic Orchestra)
22. Butthole Surfers – Sweat Loaf (Locust Abortion Technician)
23. Mogwai – Hound Of Winter (Earth Division E.P.)
24. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin – Oregon Girl (Polyvinyl 15 Years Sampler)
25. Asobi Seksu – Sighs (Polyvinyl 15 Years Sampler)
26. Laura Marling – The Muse (A Creature I Don’t Know)
27. The Babies – Here Comes Trouble (7″)
28. A Winged Victory For The Sullen – All Farewalls Are Sudden (Self-Titled)
29. Talk Talk – Ascension Day (Laughing Stock)