West Ham United and Newcastle United, two teams with contrasting ambitions for the remainder of the season, meet at the London Stadium tonight in the Premier League.
It is a crucial game for both with the Hammers looking to climb further away from the drop zone, while Newcastle will be hoping to remain in contention for a UEFA Champions League place.
David Moyes would have been relieved following his side’s narrow 1-0 victory over Southampton on Sunday. Nayef Aguerd’s first-half header was enough to secure a huge three points over a fellow relegation rival.
Despite it not being the best of performances, points on the board is what the Hammers desperately need at the moment. West Ham had high expectations heading into the campaign after their successes of previous seasons, but they have not been able to follow that up.
The Magpies secured a magnificent 2-0 win over Manchester United on Sunday to strengthen their chances of finishing in the top four. After their Carabao Cup final defeat to the Red Devils, many expected Eddie Howe’s side to struggle to finish in the Champions League spots.
However, since that defeat, they have secured three consecutive wins, barring the loss to Manchester City. A win for Newcastle would mean they widen the gap between them and the other teams fighting for a place in the top four.
The Hammers will still be without Italian striker Gianluca Scamacca who is currently sidelined with a knee injury. He is the only absentee for the East London side, with Maxwel Cornet looking to return to the starting eleven after a long spell out.
For Newcastle, Joe Willock suffered a hamstring injury in the win over Manchester United, meaning he may not feature.
West Ham United: Fabianski, Kehrer, Zouma, Aguerd, Emerson, Soucek, Rice, Paquetá, Bowen, Ings, Benrahma
Newcastle United: Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman, Burn, Longstaff, Guimaraes, Joelinton, Murphy, Isak, Saint-Maximin
- West Ham are unbeaten in their last five Premier League home matches, winning three and drawing two. This is as many as they had amounted in their previous 12 at the London Stadium.
- West Ham are unbeaten in their last three Premier League games against Newcastle, despite the previous two ending in draws.
- Newcastle are unbeaten in their previous four away Premier League fixtures in the capital. This has included wins over Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur, as well as draws to Arsenal and Crystal Palace.
- Newcastle have only lost on one occasion in their ten Premier League away games – losing to champions Manchester City at the beginning of March.
- Four games between these two sides, when West Ham have been at home, have ended with the Hammers being 2-0 victors.
The last time these two teams met in the Premier League was in February as the spoils were shared at St. James’ Park. Callum Wilson gave the Magpies an early lead but Lucas Paquetá cancelled his goal out on the 32-minute mark.
4th February 2023 – Newcastle United 1-1 West Ham United (Premier League)
19th February 2022 – West Ham United 1-1 Newcastle United (Premier League)
15th August 2021 – Newcastle United 2-4 West Ham United (Premier League)
17th April 2021 – Newcastle United 3-2 West Ham United (Premier League)
12th September 2020 – West Ham United 0-2 Newcastle United (Premier League)
West Ham United 0-2 Newcastle United
Despite West Ham’s recent upturn in results, Newcastle have been very impressive of late – especially in the win over Manchester United. The Hammers still have a long way to go if they are to survive the drop, but I feel this game will be a game to far for them.