The latest episode of the Mental Health Matters podcast on Phoenix FM, the first of 2019.
You can listen to it all here.
I spoke about the ongoing issues with mental health, caused by social media use and watching and reading the news. Here are the articles I referred to in the mental health news:
I then played an excerpt from an interview I recorded for an upcoming episode of my Musical Meanderings music show. It is with Jason Sissoyeve from the post-rock band Coastlands, based in Portland, Oregon. It was a lovely conversation and it included a section where Jason shared the creative process and how it is a wonderful way of working through emotions and difficult times in life. Also, the members of the band have created a space where they’re able to support each other and even their fans online through difficulties. Stay tuned to the Musical Meanderings page for the full interview when it airs.
We then heard an interview with Nicky Smith, Leisure Services Manager at the Brentwood centre and Melvyn Cooper who runs the Community Garden project there.
They were speaking about the new Chat 1st program, which encompasses a number of different classes, courses and programs, each with a different specialist focus and highly qualified staff.
Melvyn has been setting up the Brentwood Community garden, also at the centre. It is an Organic Project run by volunteers, co-ordinated by Melvyn to make it accessible and inclusive for everyone to enjoy.
You can find out more by getting in touch with them:
You can also check out the interview on its own here:
I then also shared a recent video by previous guest ‘Live To Think’, previously known as Wild Thing. He provides a great perspective of depression, relating it to a lack of functionality:
The music played during the episode:
Let us know what you think of the show
Facebook: Search “Mental Health Matters on Phoenix FM”
• Mind 0300 123 3393, text 86463 or Mind.org.uk
• Samaritans Free on 116 123 , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Samaritans.org
• SANE 0300 304 7000 (6-11pm every evening) or Sane.org.uk
• Elefriends (MH Support Forum) – elefriends.org.uk
• Rethink Mental Illness website (for factsheets/blogs etc) : rethink.org
• Parents Helpline: Call: 0808 802 5544 or www.youngminds.org.uk
(Mon-Fri 9.30am-4pm, free from mobiles & landlines)
• The Silverline – 0800 4 70 80 90 (24 hours, 7 days a week) or thesilverline.org.uk
• The CALMzone (Campaign Against Living Miserably)
(5pm-midnight every evening)
• 0808 802 5858 if you’re in London
• or call 0800 58 58 58 Nationwide or thecalmzone.net