Brentwood, 6.46pm: 19°C, clear sky

Essex Senior League – Saturday 19th January Round-Up

Ilford v Redbridge Jan 2019

Report by Peter Dudley / Photo by Philip Lindhurst



Leyton Athletic 0 Hullbridge Sports 4

Hullbridge put in a clinical second half performance to see off Leyton Athletic at the Wadham Lodge Stadium to get back to winning ways after two straight league defeats.  The first half saw chances for both sides it what was a good end to end contest, however they weren’t able to make that breakthrough in the opening forty-five minutes, but the deadlock was broken early in the second period when a cross saw Leyton player/manager Eli Benoit put the ball into his own net.   And moments later it was two for the visitors as Luke Hornsley latched onto a Nathan Scarborough cross to give his side a two-goal cushion in this contest, before they visitors made it three to pretty much seal this one as Emmanuel Okunja netted for the Bridge Boys.  And a rampant Sports made it four when Hornsley grabbed his second of the contest to put the rubber stamp on a superb second half performance and bring them to within four points of the leaders Stansted.  Leyton, who were well in this contest until half time, stay second bottom and are now winless in fifteen games.


Woodford Town 2 West Essex 2

Hosts Woodford netted deep into stoppage time to snatch a draw at home to West Essex at The Harlow Arena.  West Essex missed early chances and were made to pay when Woodford took the lead with their first effort on target as poor defending saw the ball fall to Mantovani inside the box and he duly rifled home to give the home side the lead.  And they reached the break ahead in what was a fantastic open game of football, and although both sides had chances, the visitors were very unlucky to be behind at the break having created a number of goal scoring efforts.  But early in the second half West did find the net to level as a cross found Medfai who picked his spot and brought West level, and then the visitors took the lead when Walk threaded a ball through to Mignot and the latter slotted home beyond keeper Scammell.  The visitors continued to pass up most of the remaining opportunities in the game but whilst it remained a one-goal lead the hosts knew one moment could see them grab something from the contest, and deep into added on time they snatched a point when after West failed to clear their lines, Thompson-Brissett blasted home from outside the box.  It does mean though that although both sides gained a point they have both failed to win in their last five matches now.



Clapton 1 Southend Manor 1

The Tons and Manor shared a draw at the Old Spotted Dog leaving both sides in the bottom half of the division.  Ryan Reed’s penalty had seen the hosts lead but Jayke Welch’s 65th minute strike saw Manor grab a share of the spoils, leaving Clapton in 11th and Manor in 17th, one point above the bottom three.


Enfield 0 Walthamstow 4

Gebrai Samrai netted a brace as Stow thrashed Enfield at the Harlow Arena to keep them within touching distance of the top two.  Correy Davidson put the visitors into a 12th minute lead before Samrai netted his first two minutes into the second period, and he netted again a minute later to see the visitors into a three-goal lead.  Dwade James then netted a late fourth, and the three points see Stow now 6th, fourteen points off the lead with three games in hand.  Enfield are in 15th after this loss


Hoddesdon Town 2 Sporting Bengal United 0

Two late goals saw hosts Hoddesdon pick up all three points at home to Sporting Bengal United at Lowfield.  Jack Riddle gave the home side an 87th minute lead before Cyrus Badaie sealed the points three minutes into stoppage time from the spot and it means the Lilywhites are now in 9th, two places and just one point behind their opponents.


Ilford 2 Redbridge 3

The Motormen’s revival under new boss Micky Wetherall continued as they defeated Ilford in the derby at Cricklefield.  Deji Adeniran had given the hosts the lead inside a minute but then saw Dan Gilchrist level for the visitors after 19 minutes, and then Jay Knight added two right on half time to see the visitors into a two-goal lead at the break.  Adeniran did pull one back for the hosts midway through the second period, but Redbridge held on for the points, taking them into 16th spot and six points above the bottom three, whilst Ilford are now 13th, just two points above their opponents.


St Margaretsbury 0 Saffron Walden Town 4

Walden are six points off the leaders now with a game in hand after they put St Margs to the sword at The Recreation Ground.  Charlie Portway gave them a tenth minute lead before Lewis Francis doubled their advantage from the spot two minutes into the second period, and it was three when Anthony Da Silva netted in the 72nd minute to all but seal this contest.  Francis then netted his second and Walden’s fourth four minutes later, and this loss for the hosts sees them remain in 8th spot.


Stansted 2 Barkingside 2

Leaders Stansted rescued a point from a game they looked certain to lose as they netted two very late goals against bottom side Barkingside.  The visitors, who need wins if they are to make a miracle escape from the drop this season, took the lead on the half hour mark through Joe Oates, and when David Hornsby doubled their lead twelve minutes from time it looked like they would pull off a remarkable win.  But Stansted had other ideas and after Ollie Bell had pulled one back late on, Paul Clayton netted a 97th minute leveller to rescue a point for the hosts whilst denying the bottom side a valuable win.  The Airportmen remain top, three clear of Takeley in second, whilst Side remain bottom, two points behind Leyton and eight behind Hamlets who are third bottom.


Takeley 1 Sawbridgeworth Town 1

The Robins netted late on to deny Takeley an important win, meaning the hosts remain three behind rivals Stansted at the top of the division.  The hosts thought they might have won it when Joe Pullen netted the opener with fifteen minutes remaining, but Julian Lloyd levelled with four minutes left to grab the visitors a point, a point that sees them remain 10th in the league.


Tower Hamlets 2 Stanway Rovers 3

Scott Kemp netted a 94th minute winner as Rovers grabbed a vital three points at Mile End against Tower Hamlets.  Ezekiel Kamara and Luke With had twice given the hosts the lead, this after Tyler Kemp had levelled for the visitors, but Dion O’Reilly netted a 67th minute leveller before Scott Kemp’s injury time winner.  Defeat for Hamlets, who lost player-manager AJ Ashnike to ligament damage, see’s them remain in the bottom three, whilst Rovers are up to 12th.




Phoenix FM's partners

Beeches Care Home | Billericay Town Council | Billericay Town FC | Blue Serif | Brandler Galleries | Brentwood Chamber of Commerce | C2C | Creative Recording Studios | Crystal Communication Solutions | Elan Fire and Security Group | F Barnes solicitors | Foxtel Audio Visual Solutions | Healthwatch Essex | Hawkhurst Alternative Investments | Holiday Inn | Hopefield Animal Sanctuary | Latitude Festival | Leyton Orient FC | LMS Heating Solutions | Network Magazine | NHS | O'Wango and TT Smart | Pure Orthodontics | Rainer Hughes | Renewables In Africa | Saint Francis Hospice | SEHBAC | Standon Calling Festival | Studio 6 Music | Will Protect

© Phoenix FM 1996-2019. Written using Notepad and PHP.