It was back to the meandering selection tonight as I was back on my own. Even though I’m coming to prefer my conversations and connections with guests, I really enjoyed diving into a selection of music, including some new songs recommended by friends. I got back into some Joy Division vibes recently and it was great to play Atmosphere, then Therapy?’s rendition of Isolation. Then it was a great highlight to play a song recommended by Felipe Bricknell from Herida this week by a band called Aztlan Underground. They’re a rap/rock band from Los Angeles and they really speak on behalf of the indigenous peoples, especially the Nahua in Mexico. I played Moztlitta by them and it’s completely sung in the native language Nahuatl. After that I couldn’t resist playing another band from LA, Downset, who I had great memories seeing play in the early 90s and they can also be relied upon to express powerful thoughts and emotions in their words. Tonight I played Eyes Shut Tight which brought to mind the current and latest financial crisis, this time in Cyprus and it’s now clear that a lot more people are waking up and opening their eyes to what is happening to them and the whole picture of the system that’s being imposed on us.
Then I treated myself to a little celebration of some nice vibes last week and this. I enjoyed catching up with friends’ birthday and engagement party celebrations so I enjoyed continuing the vibe with the song Wretches and Kings by Linkin Park, which was recommended by my friends Matt and Vicky as I hadn’t kept up to date with many bands from the ‘Nu-Metal’ scene. Then of course Birthday Party by Grandmaster Flash was great way to continue celebrating! It was great to be joined by them and a few others on the chat room during the show for a mini reunion.
Into the second hour I shifted a meander back down the psychedelic route with more rocking songs I’ve been enjoying recently.
Here’s the playlist for 19th March 2013 (Albums in brackets)
1. Deftones – Leathers (Koi No Yokan)
2. Marilyn Manson – I Don’t Like The Drugs (Mechanical Animals)
3. Joy Divinsion – Atmosphere (Substance)
4. Therapy? – Isolation (Troublegum)
5. Aztlan Underground – Moztlitta (Aztlan Underground)
6. Downset – Eyes Shut Tight (Do We Speak A Dead Language?)
7. Linkin Park – Wretches And Kings (A Thousand Suns)
8. Grandmaster Flash – Birthday Party (Grandmaster Flash)
9. Living Colour – Talkin’ Loud And Sayin’ Nothing (Biscuits)
10. Sabatta – Emperor’s New Clothes (Emperor’s New Clothes)
11. The Future Sound of London – Lifeforms (Lifeforms)
12. Shpongle – My Head Feels Like a Frisbee (Tales Of The Inexpressible)
13. Xerox & Illumination – Funkenstein (The History Of Goa Trance Vol.2)
14. K.i.M – Souranded
15. Nomad 25 – Twisted Inmate (Spiral Entities EP)
16. Ajja – Surge (Tulpa)
17. Zen Mechanics – Psychotropical Nights (VA Universo Paralello 2008)
18. U-Recken – The Lucid Dream (Deeper Into Man)