Yes tonight was devoted to the Composer Harold Arlen who was one of the great composers of the American Songbook and together with E Y Harburg composed the music for the 1939 film of The Wizard of Oz. In honour of the stage version of this film opening this week at the London Palladium I decided to dedicate this week to finding out more about him. See the playlist below.
Here are some useful links for some of the items mentioned in tonight’s show.
First of all if you would like to know more about Harold Arlen go to: www.haroldarlen.com.
If you would like to see The Wizard Of Oz at the London Palladium it is booking until 17th September 2011 and the Box Office number is: 0844 412 2704.
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is on at the Donmar Warehouse until 2nd April. Box Office is: 0844 871 4661.
End Of The Rainbow is at the Trafalgar Studios until 21st May. Box Office is 0844 871 7632.
Finally, Frankenstein is on at the National Theatre’s Olivier until 2nd May. Box Office is 020 7452 3000. Alternatively, this production is being screened twice this month in cinemas around the country as part of NT Live. To find out more go to: https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/52955/venues-amp-booking/uk-venues.html
Finally, don’t forget to enter my competition to win tickets to see LOL at the Queen’s Theatre, Hornchurch. Send me an email marked LOL competition Stage Door telling me what LOL stands for and you could win a pair of tickets to see this amazing dance show on Monday 14th March at 8pm. email@example.com
All songs composed by Harold Arlen; lyricist in brackets
1. If I only had a brain (with E. Y. Harburg)(from The wizard of Oz) Ray Bolger and Judy Garland – 1939 film soundtrack
2. Get happy (with Ted Koehler) (from Little Voice) Jane Horrocks – 1998 film soundtrack
3. I’ve got the world on a string (with Koehler) Michael Buble – from Call Me Irresponsible
4. Stormy weather (with Koehler) Joni Mitchell – from Both Sides Now
5. Overture (from Life begins at 8:40) 2010 studio recording
6. Down with love (with Harburg) (from Hooray for what!) The King’s Singers – from Best of the King’s Singers
7. It’s only a paper moon (with Harburg and Billy Rose) (from Take a Chance) Nat King Cole – from The Very Best of Nat King Cole
8. Let’s fall in love (with Koehler) (from Let’s Fall in Love) Ella Fitzgerald – from Ella Fitzgerald Gold
9. Last night when we were young (with Harburg) (from Metropolitan) Tony Bennett – from The Essential Tony Bennett
10. Over the rainbow (with Harburg) (from The wizard of Oz) Danielle Hope – from Over the Rainbow
11. The jitterbug (with Harburg) (cut from The wizard of Oz) Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr and Charles Grapewin
12. That old black magic (with Johnny Mercer) (from Star Spangled Rhythm) Rod Stewart – from Fly Me to the Moon: the Great American Songbook Vol. 5
13. One for my baby (with Mercer) (from The Sky’s the Limit) Julie London – from The Ultimate Collection
14. The man who got away (with Ira Gershwin) (from A Star is Born) Judy Garland – from The Essential Judy Garland
15. I could go on singing (with Harburg) (from I Could Go on Singing) Tracie Bennett – from End of the Rainbow