Welcome to the second episode in this second series of Mental Health Matters on Phoenix FM. It includes conversations with writer and philosopher Darren Allen and mindfulness practitioner Sheila Moses.
You can listen to it here:
Darren has been a guest previously on my Musical Meanderings show and I knew he would have great perspectives on some of the broader issues and causes for mental health issues that I have been thinking about.
We discussed ideas such as the nature of work and schools and how many don’t enjoy it and how money is tight. We touched on some controversial ideas, such as whether Mental Illness is actually something tangible and real and how positive the concepts of psychology and psychotherapy actually are.
In the end there was optimism with how things can unfold for humanity, especially if Love can embraced for all.
He is open to dialogue about his ideas and often engages in discussions about them. You can find out more about him and his writings, along with his contact information via his website expressiveegg.org.
Here is his article on mental health that we discussed during the conversation:
Sheila Moses is a practitioner in numerous fields, including mindfulness, NLP and emotional freedom technique tapping. She talked about her background and journey in learning about each and how she is able to help others. She works in many schools and spoke of the great results she experiences when she teaches some of these techniques.
You can find out more about her and get in touch via her website:
http://mellowmoments.biz and her mobile: 07956 123335
Here is the music played during the episode:
Syd Barrett – Love You (The Madcap Laughs – 1970)
J.S. Bach – Chorale Œ Haupt Voll Blut Und Wunden (Chorus I_II)
Os Mutantes – Haleluia (A Divina Comedia Ou)
Beethoven – Quartet 14 – 6th mvt. – Adagio quasi un poco Andante
Let us know what you think of the show
Facebook: Search “Mental Health Matters on Phoenix FM”
• Brentwood Mind 01277 234246 or brentwoodmind.org.uk
• Mind 0300 123 3393, text 86463 or Mind.org.uk
• Samaritans Free on 116 123 , e-mail: email@example.com or Samaritans.org
• SANE 0300 304 7000 (6-11pm every evening) or Sane.org.uk
• Elefriends (MH Support Forum) – elefriends.org.uk
• Rethink Mental Illness website (for factsheets/blogs etc) : rethink.org
• Parents Helpline: Call: 0808 802 5544 or www.youngminds.org.uk
(Mon-Fri 9.30am-4pm, free from mobiles & landlines)
• The Silverline – 0800 4 70 80 90 (24 hours, 7 days a week) or thesilverline.org.uk
• The CALMzone (Campaign Against Living Miserably)
(5pm-midnight every evening)
• 0808 802 5858 if you’re in London
• or call 0800 58 58 58 Nationwide or thecalmzone.net